Web-pix


Saturday, November 11, 2006

contest, free stuff, woohoo!





On a recent hike in some local woods I took a photograph of a piece of fallen branch that resembled the head of some kind of strange animal. What kind of animal, I don't know. That's when I decided to draw an imaginary animal based on the photograph. The problem is, my animal needs a name. That's where you guys here at Web-pix come in! If you decide to participate and name it (any name will do) I'll place your name on a piece of paper in a box with other participants and close my eyes (honest) and choose a winner. The winner will get a "goodie package" (so I'll need your address) with a mix-cd with art by yours truly, and some other fun stuff. I'll also announce the winner at my blog and give your blog a little shout out (even a feature if you agree to do one). I've exchanged art and cds with fellow bloggers in the past and always had a good time with it. So I thought I'd have some fun here. I decided to do this with Illustration Friday as well, so we'll see how this goes. So don't be shy and give it a shot! Take care all!

12 Comments:

At Saturday, November 11, 2006 4:46:00 PM, Blogger Calvin said...

Man that is awesome! Great artwork! I say ou call it a CALiosaurous. :)

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006 7:06:00 PM, Blogger AphotoAday said...

Oh, that was easy -- the name of that creature is actually a "Snargle"... Oh yes it is...

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006 8:53:00 PM, Blogger Christopher Steven b. said...

regardless of who the winner is, the latin name is: Anatispilosus concauda.
i don't, however, know the common name..

Great post, steve. The concept and drawings themselves are both really well executed. who knew your hands moved so freely upon the page? i didn't know!

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006 9:28:00 PM, Blogger The Melody Censor said...

I must disagree with Christopher on this one...the latin name is actually Coragyps norvegicus, a Rexicon, or more commonly know as The Rascal King. Long thought to be a mythical creature, but seems you have discovered it!

This is such a great post! I love when faces appear...I once spotted Zero from The Nightmare Before Christmas in a rose garden...

Good luck finding a name for the beast!

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006 9:53:00 PM, Blogger Jozee said...

Thinking...

Sure do like your transformation. Love his tufted chest, great detail.

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006 10:21:00 PM, Blogger heather said...

His name must be Cheeky Beaky!

He is a cheeky little monkey with a bird-like beak and talons.

I love Susan's Zero!

great find, Steve, and great art work as well!

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 12:18:00 AM, Blogger merlinprincesse said...

AAAHHH! You guys! All wrong. This is the Sylvestrum Bifidus. It's nikname is Blogsie! In fact, here it's a she... Hhhehehe.... :)

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 12:30:00 AM, Blogger Paul G. said...

That my friend is an actual Appalachian Woodchuck.

Christopher is correct on the latin.

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 2:56:00 AM, Blogger steve said...

Ha ha--you guys kill me. Glad you all had some fun with this and thanks so much for the positive feedback. Looks like I'll have lots of names in the box!

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 4:12:00 AM, Blogger PWrocker said...

The transformation is sweet.

I'd go with "Maddox".

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 6:01:00 PM, Blogger steve said...

Wow--I love these! How imaginitive you all are, and funny. I'm so glad I don't have to choose but pick out of a hat instead! thanks for participating!

 
At Tuesday, November 14, 2006 2:14:00 AM, Blogger Clo said...

OMG! Why is everybody wrong about this one!... *sigh* So, I'll explain again, as I did on your blog...

That mythical creature is parented with the "Notre-Dame de Paris" gargoyles! As those are protectors of the Cathedral, this one is a protector of the Forest, because, as you all know it, the forest is also a kind of Cathedral.

And Steve, this is incredible because it seems you have found the older and wiser one of the Forest: his name is Gamgoyle... :O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!