Web-pix


Thursday, January 04, 2007

Holocaust Memorial, S.F.



"The Holocaust" by George Seagal...
We will never forget the genocidal slaughter of six million Jews, including one and a half million children, in the Nazi Holocaust of 1933 - 1945...
We will never forget the cruel apathy of a world which allowed that Holocaust and the deliberate murder of millions of other people to happen...
We will never forget the martyrs of that evil abyss in human history... Nor will we forget those Jews and the righteous of all faiths who resisted and fought that evil...
In the memory of those martyrs and fighters, we pledge our lives to the creation of a world in which such evil and such apathy will not be tolerated...
It is with that memory and that resolve that we dedicate this memoirial...
"In rememberance is the secret of redemption"...

7 Comments:

At Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful and moving memorial.

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:12:00 PM, Blogger AphotoAday said...

Thanks, Lynn... I wasn't quite sure if posting these photos would be "appropriate" -- I could have just as easily posted something "pretty" -- but this is probably a good time in history to remember this horror...
Best regards, Don and Kitty

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:04:00 PM, Blogger henri Banks said...

My grandfather was there and he survived!!!

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:38:00 PM, Blogger heather said...

I once visited a concentration camp in Germany. It was Dachau. Research that place if you guys have time.
I stood in the gas chamber, and imagined myself going through that horrific experience, and looked down at my little Victoria standing next to me....put myself there...imagining what they went through. Of course I was in tears. It is all very sad.
I feel for your family, Henri. It must have been so hard, and to survive that...just amazing.

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 5:18:00 PM, Blogger Kimberley said...

aphoto...pretty is great but sometimes we all need to take time and reflect on the past's horrible and cruel mistakes in order to get a grasp on what humanity is NOT or should NOT be. My daughter did an extensive documentary for one of her advance classes on the survivors of this horrid part of history. I could not even sit through an entire set of filming she had to watch, nor could she. I could not begin to imagine the pain and extreme horror that these people indured. Thanks for sharing such profound shots with us ... it definaltely makes me thankful of so many little things I take for granted. Henri, as Heather said, AMAZING!

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 6:09:00 PM, Blogger Christopher Steven b. said...

I like the idea of such a memorial. it is a theme in a lot of my pieces that we ought not turn away from looking at dark chasms, horrors. I think it is possible to remember and to have this remembering prevent us from allowing more horrors. Let us also be sure that as the victims remove the shackles they do not take the mask of their oppressor.

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:40:00 PM, Blogger steve said...

So true, we need to remember history so as not to repeat it. Great photographs here--very powerful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!