Web-pix


Wednesday, January 10, 2007

remember records?






When I last visited folks in my hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, I made an effort to stop by a place called Jerry's. It's a shop with one of the largest collections of records in the world. Walking through the place is like riding a vinyl time-machine to the past. I grew up on records as a kid (and even the dreaded eight-tracks). About ten years ago I was into collecting them, mainly for the cover art, since lots of the used stuff was pretty cheap. While I love cds and all the new mp3 gagetry, with its size and convenience, I wouldn't mind buying a record player again someday soon. Surprisingly, lots of musicians and bands still release stuff on vinyl and the there has been a report of renewed interest in seven-inch singles with the younger music hipsters. Anyway, just thought I'd share my visit. I felt bad, 'cause there was so much I wanted to buy but ended up leaving with lots of photos instead of tunes.




8 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Judith said...

what a great treasure this place is.
i'd be lost in there for hours.

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 1:08:00 AM, Blogger PWrocker said...

Vinals are amazing! I'd have to agree with Judith, I'd probably have issues pulling myself away from there (like a kid in a candy shop). Even though it's not my generation, I still have a few... and a broken turntable which you've now inspired me to look at/into a new one. Thanks!

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 2:10:00 AM, Blogger Clo said...

I love old vinyls. I still have some, 33, 45 and even some 78... It's true that some of the sleeve art truly work of art! And I preciously keep my old turntable. :O)

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 2:57:00 AM, Blogger AphotoAday said...

Hi Steve, I never thought I would get this old, but yes, I even remember 78's -- and I think they were made of some brittle plastic material even more ancient than vinyl...
By the way, I'm just curious -- but did you have to obtain permission before shooting inside/outside the store? I keep getting scolded by shop owners in San Francisco... Recently had a jerk of a bar owner in North Beach ask me for my permit, and when I couldn't produce one he actually wanted to confiscate my camera... It took some highly apologetic footwork to get myself out of that one... Chinatown is another place that I usually get yelled at or run-off... Don't quite know what their problem is... Glad you got those record-shop photos, though...

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 3:45:00 AM, Blogger Calvin said...

Steve i'm pretty happy abbout all of these pics. :)

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:22:00 AM, Blogger henri Banks said...

OH MAN I FEEL OLD i also have a half closet full with LPs(33) and a little box with 45s and you know what i cant sell them i love them so, but much better i cant play them annymore i have no record player :-/

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Kimberley said...

My mom has an awesome collection of these, some which have never been open. I am with Judith, I could get lost in there for hours.

 
At Friday, January 12, 2007 12:32:00 AM, Blogger steve said...

Hey guys, thanks for your great input! Glad you dig the pics too Calvin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!