Web-pix


Monday, July 23, 2007

Gate 5, Sausalito



Most everybody knows that Sausalito has houseboats (the ones you can see from the freeway), but what a lot of folks don't realize is that there are two types of houseboats -- the nice expensive ones to the northwest, and these funky ones at the Gate 5 Cooperative...

Not a very colorful name -- Gate 5 -- but that's what the Bechtel Corporation named it back in 1942 when they operated a HUGE shipyard in the area called Marinship, building Liberty Ships for the war effort... My Grandfather worked at Marinship, so when I visited the Jeremiah O'Brien, a Liberty Ship docked at Fisherman's Wharf, I had to tell the docents all about it... --Unusual for me to start up a conversation, but I did...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!